Does this describe your dream job?
- It makes full use of your skills
- It challenges you to develop new ones
- It’s interesting
- It’s meaningful
- It gives you opportunities for learning and development
- Your coworkers help you work better
- You feel valued
- You have work-life balance
- You have opportunities to advance and develop a career.
Unfortunately, there’s a reason for calling this a dream job. Most people think such a career would be impossible to attain. Work is supposed to be drudgery, just a way to earn a paycheck, right?
Wrong. Here are — strategies that you can follow to create and build the kind of career success that some can only dream of.
- Accept the fact that you are in charge of your own professional destiny. Nobody else knows the full truth about your ambitions, interests, and values except you. And nobody is going to take you by the hand and lead you to a fulfilling career.
- Identify and document the ways that you bring value to your employer. Write down what you’ve learned and accomplished at the job and include feedback received. Soon you’ll have not only a deeper self awareness, but plenty of information that you can use to hone your career goals.
- Figure out how to link your accomplishments to your career goals.
- Maintain positive, productive relationships with people who may be able to help you access future opportunities.
- Seek opportunities to work with smart, energetic people who you might learn from.
Soon, you’ll find yourself on a way to a dynamic, flexible and sustainable career. It’s all about finding a job that fits your skills, interests and values, then figuring out how to keep your personal development going.
You don’t need to trudge along in an unsatisfactory job! The sooner you know what interests you, what you do best and not so well and what will energize you, you can identify your value in the workplace — and find a place where you can fill a need while being valued!
Does this sound too hard? It doesn’t have to be. Work with the IT staffing experts at Synerfac to help you identify what you have and what it will take to help you find your next great employment opportunity!