Think LinkedIn is “over”? Think again! LinkedIn has great reach and the undeniable power to raise your personal or business visibility, build your brand and help you find a new job. Why wouldn’t you take advantage of such a powerful platform? Here’s how to leverage its power to your best advantage:
- Remember, many of your clients are on LinkedIn. Plus former colleagues, future colleagues, and a vast number of HR people and recruiters. Don’t forget about presidents, CEOs, CFOs and CIOs and pretty much any other decision maker you can think of. So how can you engage them? Use your Home page to share a tip, a technique, a resource or even just a great link or a strong visual. Give people something to see, share, think about or reply to.
- Here’s a great way to make new connections or share your expertise: join some LinkedIn Groups that are relevant to your current industry (or the industry you’d like to be in) and participate! Start discussions; leave informative comments; like and share info you discover. In social media, you have to give to get. And make sure you give as much as you get!
- Over time, you’ll realize you’re responding to or engaging with certain people more frequently than others. Ask to connect when they’re a good fit for you and your connections.
- Being social isn’t just for Facebook: Congratulate people on birthdays, promotions, new jobs and other milestones. This is not only flattering, but it helps put you in the forefront of your connections’ minds. So it raises your visibility, may provide an opportunity to start a business dialogue or win over a new client, and helps to create a positive brand.
- Make it a two-way street by endorsing or recommending a connection, then asking them to do the same for you. This can work like word of mouth and referrals or recommendations in the real world. It can help you build authority into your brand.
- Keep it growing. Expand your network whenever possible, but send personalized invites and follow up regularly. You’re not there just to see your number of connections rise. You’re there to make meaningful connections.
By devoting just a little time each week, you can reap the benefits and rewards of LinkedIn to give your career a boost. But if it’s not working for you and you’d like some help finding your next great opportunity, don’t hesitate to call or contact the team at Synerfac.