Working with databases makes for a rewarding IT career. Like any other technology discipline, it is vital that SQL developers take the necessary steps to keep their career on an upward track. The new century has seen many advancements in the world of databases, so make sure you don’t get left behind.
With that in mind, here are six pieces of career advice that SQL developers need to check out.
- Learn a few NoSQL Databases. The last decade saw the introduction of many new types of database engines collectively falling under the NoSQL banner. Spend some time learning some of these NoSQL databases like the document database, MongoDB, or the graph database, Neo4J.
- Check out UnQL. Speaking of NoSQL, UnQL is a query language developed for the NoSQL space, specifically Couchbase, SQLite and CouchDB. While UnQL doesn’t see wide industry use yet, you may pick up a new skill or two to help with your general SQL development.
- Join a few LinkedIn Groups related to SQL. A LinkedIn account is a must for anyone working in technology. Make it a point to join and participate in any LinkedIn Groups related to SQL development and administration. This is a great way to get exposed to new ideas and also build your professional network.
- Network with SQL Professionals in your Region. In addition to leveraging LinkedIn for professional networking, joining any local users groups related to SQL development is another way to add contacts to your network, while potentially gaining some insight relevant to your daily work.
- Consider acquiring an Advanced Degree. Earning a Masters degree — either in technology or business — puts you on a fast track to a managerial or executive position in technology. Be sure to take advantage of any tuition reimbursement programs offered by your employer.
- A Partnership with a Technology Staffing Agency in your Area makes Sense. Developing a career-long partnership with an IT staffing agency makes perfect sense. The best employment agencies work with the top companies in your area, so you’ll probably learn about any open positions before the general public.
When searching for a rewarding partnership with a technology staffing firm, look no further than Synerfac Technical Staffing. As one of the leading IT recruiters in the United States, we can help you build a rewarding career. Contact us today to learn more!